Re: upgrades must not change the installed init system [was: Re: Cinnamon environment now available in testing]

On 09/09/14 23:17, Tollef Fog Heen wrote:
>> That way of testing is completely unreliable when we are talking about
>> > low level stuff (kernel/udev/systemd).
> No, it's not.  It is able to emulate most of the concerns people are
> talking about in this thread.  Nobody has so far showed up and been
> worried about udev suddenly being incompatible, from what I've seen it's
> all about worries that things like buggy /etc/fstabs and similar
> problems prevent a clean boot.

I just gave a quick look at the list of systemd open bugs on the BTS
that can cause an unbootable system. At least #697962, #627949, #751585,
#754078 and #760848 are very difficult (if not impossible) to test
properly with the testing method you are proposing.