Re: upgrades must not change the installed init system [was: Re: Cinnamon environment now available in testing]

]] Carlos Alberto Lopez Perez

> On 09/09/14 22:18, Tollef Fog Heen wrote:
> > ]] Carlos Alberto Lopez Perez
> >
> >> But if you don't (Is not uncommon to have servers on remote locations
> >> that are only accessible via ssh) and the machine don't boots properly
> >> you can find yourself in trouble.
> >
> > Then surely you test the upgrade before making it live, using kvm
> > -snapshot or similar functionality?
> >

> That way of testing is completely unreliable when we are talking about
> low level stuff (kernel/udev/systemd).

No, it's not.  It is able to emulate most of the concerns people are
talking about in this thread.  Nobody has so far showed up and been
worried about udev suddenly being incompatible, from what I've seen it's
all about worries that things like buggy /etc/fstabs and similar
problems prevent a clean boot.

--
Tollef Fog Heen