Re: upgrades must not change the installed init system [was: Re: Cinnamon environment now available in testing]

On 09/09/2014 13:10, Ondřej Surý wrote:
> And I'm saying that all we have is anecdotal evidence and we all
> know what we step into when we run our systems on jessie or sid.
> So please fill a bug for every breakage you will encounter, so it
> can be either fixed or documented.

Did you look at the current bug list for systemd ?
According to the PTS page, there are already 160 of them.

>> I believe most our users prefer to stay with sysvinit when upgrading from wheezy
>
> And I believe that most our users don't care.

I agree, but if something breaks.

I consider myself having a not so bad level in system and
Linux administration. And I'm not able to fix the boot of my server.
I'm not even able to know exactly what is going wrong with it.
  Systemd have really interesting features, that why I'm testing it
and installing as much as I can. But the fact is that I not able
to deal with all the problems occurring when switching from sysv
on my own systems. So, I'm really confident that I wont be the only
one.

As others already tell, as much as possible, my opinion is that the
init switch should be done independently of the upgrade, and only
when explicitly requested by the administrator.
  The release note can emphasis that, for a better user experience,
the admin should really consider to do the switch of the init system
after the upgrade, for example by running
"apt-get install systemd-sysv" when the upgrade (and, if possible, a
reboot) is done.

  Regards,
    Vincent

--
Vincent Danjean       GPG key ID 0xD17897FA         vdanjean@debian.org
GPG key fingerprint: 621E 3509 654D D77C 43F5  CA4A F6AE F2AF D178 97FA