Re: upgrades must not change the installed init system [was: Re: Cinnamon environment now available in testing]

Hi,

Samuel Thibault:
> > So please fill a bug for every breakage you will encounter, so it
> > can be either fixed or documented.
>
> There will be dozens of them then. Will they really be fixed in time for
> Jessie?

We don't know yet. Would you rather have bugs which are not even reported,
and operate from _really_ incomplete knowledge?

> When we upgraded from grub1 to grub2, we have let the users decide when
> they actually do the switch, so they can handle it independently from
> the system upgrade. Why not doing the same here?

Nobody said that we wouldn't let the user decide. That's different from
what some people here seem to want, which is not do anything at all until
the admin explicitly installs systemd-sysv.

--
-- Matthias Urlichs