Re: RFC: OpenRC as Init System for Debian

Josselin Mouette <joss@debian.org> writes:

> Le dimanche 13 mai 2012 à 20:00 +0200, Gergely Nagy a écrit :
>> > There is a huge difference between gconf, for which you can set one
>> > specific setting in /etc, overriding the default in /usr (and in a way
>> > that will not break the application if the schemas change), and
>> > systemd/udev, which require to copy the *entire* file, leaving behind
>> > any improvements that could made to it in ulterior versions.
>>
>> Not entirely true. You can override parts of the file too, without
>> copying: include the original. This doesn't let you override everything,
>> but for a lot of things, is good enough.
>
> And then, when the original file changes, you lose the improvements and
> you might even end up with a broken system.
>
> For example if a systemd unit file is updated to match a change of
> behavior in a daemon. Say, from now it requires a pre-exec stanza to do
> stuff it used to do at startup. Your modified file in /etc will not
> include this new stanza and your daemon is broken.

Same problem exists with conf.d/ snippets. It's nothing unique to
systemd, nor to etc-overrides-lib.

If you can override, include or otherwise configure your system in such
a way that you do not get warned when one part changes incompatibly, it
will likely break, indeed.

That is what NEWS.Debian can be used for, for example. But in systemd's
case, there are better options, as discussed in this thread elsewhere
(and from what I've been told, with a little bit of postinst magic, this
can easily become a non-issue, but I haven't tested that yet).