Re: RFC: OpenRC as Init System for Debian

On 05/10/2012 04:52 AM, Steve McIntyre wrote:
> No, really - please *do* do this. The fact that a lot of the software
> coming out of RedHat development seems to be designed solely for their
> use, including working around the missing/broken features of RPM, is
> seriously annoying. Configuration belongs in /etc, we know this. We
> have a well-designed and implemented set of tools in Debian based on
> that standard.

I agree 100% with the above.

On 05/10/2012 05:22 AM, Uoti Urpala wrote:
> Josh Triplett provided multiple technical reasons why etc-overrides-lib
> is preferable. The ONLY technical reason you gave to prefer traditional
> conffiles was that there already is a "set of tools" for that in Debian.

No, it's because this way, I am warned by the package manager of a change
on the default file, and I can merge by hand when I see it. Otherwise, you
are silently changing the default, and potentially, I will miss the new
options.

Besides this, configuration files in /etc is written in the stones of
our bible^Wpolicy-manual.

Thomas