Re: RFC: OpenRC as Init System for Debian

On Fri, May 11, 2012 at 04:39:22PM +0800, Thomas Goirand wrote:
[snip]

> From: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Configuration_file
>
> "In computing, configuration files, or config files configure the initial
> settings for some computer programs. They are used for user applications,
> server processes and operating system settings."
>
> The fact that these files are in /lib and shouldn't be touched by the admin
> doesn't make them less configuration files. They still match the above
> definition from Wikipedia.

Since when did Wikipedia have any relevance on Debian?

> > If the old file in /lib isn't equal to the new file being installed to
> > /lib, and there's a user supplied file in /etc rather than just the
> > default (which would only include the version in lib), then prompt the
> > user.  If the user is running a non-interactive upgrade, fire off an
> > e-mail or something.  For any major changes to the /lib files (stuff
> > that are likely to trigger user actions), NEWS.Debian should of course,
> > as usual, contain a heads up.
> >

> No need to explain again, again and again the same thing. We did understand
> what your point is, but still, we don't agree with you and Uoti. Move on.

Talking about yourself in pluralis majestatis now?

> > Just because something isn't supported currently in our tools doesn't
> > make it impossible to support it.
>
> The very reason why our tools don't support it, is because *we don't
> want it.  It's designed like this on purpose, and we are happy with
> the way things are right now.

Yes, I get it that you are.  Or are you somehow assuming that you can
speak for all of Debian?  I guess you're aware of the fact that I'm a DD
too?

> Why can't you implement something like amavis, grub2, or apache are
> doing?  Especially Amavis, where the default config is a conffile, but
> you can override what you need by using a higher number in the file
> name.
>
> It works well, it is integrated with Debian and the way things work...

A solution with configuration files in /etc including, or overriding,
defaults elsewhere works well too.  gconf is a good example.

Tollef's example of how to handle the case of a setting that can be set
multiple times is probably needs some thought though, but that
particular case can be solved by copying rather than including, if needs
be.

Anyway, I'm neither systemd maintainer nor upstream, so I don't believe
I'm the right person to speak to.  Then again, neither are you TTBOMK :)

> > And debian-policy isn't set in stone.
> > Otherwise it wouldn't have last been revised in February 2012 :)
> >

> The debian-policy maybe, but the FHS, and config files in /etc *is* a very
> strong policy that you will not change in Debian, and for very valid
> reasons already described in this thread.

Sigh.  The config files remain in /etc.  The defaults are not.  There's
nothing in FHS that contradicts such a behaviour.

Regards: David
--
 /) David Weinehall <tao@debian.org> /) Rime on my window           (\
//  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~   //  Diamond-white roses of fire //