Re: debuild/dpkg-buildpackage behaves not as expected

On Wed, May 16, 2012 at 09:05:21AM +0200, Olе Streicher wrote:
> What is the rationale behind the automatic reversal of the applied
> patches before a cleanup?

Quoting from the bug I meant to refer you to (#649531) when closing the
debuild bug:

  On one hand, in dpkg's source format v3, the patched source is considered
  to be standard "unpacked" form.
  …
  On the other hand, some people like to work most of the time with the
  unpatched source, as in pre-v3 days.
  …
  "dpkg-source --after-build" distinguishes between the two cases by
  checking for the ".pc/.dpkg-source-unapply" file, which is added when
  "dpkg-source --before-build" notices that patches were not already
  applied.  You can ensure patches remain applied by applying the
  patches yourself before starting the build.

  	QUILT_PATCHES=debian/patches quilt push -a
  	debuild; # or dpkg-buildpackage, or whatever

So, you have a method that you can work with.  My main point was that
you should be trying to drive change through dpkg, not through
devscripts.

Cheers,
--
James