Re: RFC: OpenRC as Init System for Debian

On Tue, May 15, 2012 at 05:26:32PM +0200, Josselin Mouette wrote:
> Le dimanche 13 mai 2012 à 20:00 +0200, Gergely Nagy a écrit :
> > > There is a huge difference between gconf, for which you can set one
> > > specific setting in /etc, overriding the default in /usr (and in a way
> > > that will not break the application if the schemas change), and
> > > systemd/udev, which require to copy the *entire* file, leaving behind
> > > any improvements that could made to it in ulterior versions.
> >
> > Not entirely true. You can override parts of the file too, without
> > copying: include the original. This doesn't let you override everything,
> > but for a lot of things, is good enough.
>
> And then, when the original file changes, you lose the improvements and
> you might even end up with a broken system.
>
> For example if a systemd unit file is updated to match a change of
> behavior in a daemon. Say, from now it requires a pre-exec stanza to do
> stuff it used to do at startup. Your modified file in /etc will not
> include this new stanza and your daemon is broken.
>
> (And yes, this could be handled easily with a modified ucf, but
> currently it is not the case.)

Uhm, I think there's a misunderstanding here somewhere (or I'm
misunderstanding your objection).

The file in /etc *includes* the file in /lib.  You don't copy them.

The file in /lib is the unit file that gets updated, the file in /etc only
contains overrides for the values you want to override.

Thus, when /lib changes, those updates will be included, no breakage.

The only issue I can think of is that there's currently (TTBOMK) no way
of unsetting a value completely, which can cause issues if you want to
override a setting that can take multiple statements.

Regards: David
--
 /) David Weinehall <tao@debian.org> /) Rime on my window           (\
//  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~   //  Diamond-white roses of fire //