Re: RFC: OpenRC as Init System for Debian

Thomas Goirand <zigo@debian.org> writes:

> From: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Configuration_file
>
> "In computing, configuration files, or config files configure the initial
> settings for some computer programs. They are used for user applications,
> server processes and operating system settings."
>
> The fact that these files are in /lib and shouldn't be touched by the admin
> doesn't make them less configuration files. They still match the above
> definition from Wikipedia.

Can I point you to /usr/share/glib-2.0/schemas/,
/usr/share/gconf/defaults and similar?

These are by the above definition, configuration files. Yet they are not
under /etc. They are used to load the initial configuration of software,
and can be overridden elsewhere (funny thing is, the gconf defaults can
be overridden with stuff in /var/lib/gconf/debian.* - even the overides
are outside of /etc!).

Can we fix these first, where not even the overrides are in /etc, let
alone the defaults? Please?

>> Just because something isn't supported currently in our tools doesn't
>> make it impossible to support it.
>
> The very reason why our tools don't support it, is because *we don't
> want it*.
> It's designed like this on purpose, and we are happy with the way things are
> right now.

Are you happy with dropping a snippet into a conf.d/ directory, and your
software breaking on an upgrade without notice? Because that can happen
even now, with software that uses only /etc, and /etc alone for their
configuration, without any kind of default anywhere else.

> Why can't you implement something like amavis, grub2, or apache are doing?
> Especially Amavis, where the default config is a conffile, but you can
> override
> what you need by using a higher number in the file name.
>
> It works well, it is integrated with Debian and the way things work...

It certainly does not work all that well. We came to live with it over
the years, is all.

>> And debian-policy isn't set in stone.
>> Otherwise it wouldn't have last been revised in February 2012 :)
>>

> The debian-policy maybe, but the FHS, and config files in /etc *is* a very
> strong policy that you will not change in Debian, and for very valid
> reasons already described in this thread.

And in etc-overrides-lib, config files still remain in /etc. Its just
the defaults that live elsewhere. That the defaults are files, and are
under /lib, is an implementation detail, similarly how gconf defaults
live under /usr/share/gconf/defaults.

FHS and Policy are obeyed.