Re: why do people introduce stup^Wstrange changes to quilt 3.0 format

On Tue, May 15, 2012 at 10:10:28AM +0100, Jon Dowland wrote:
> On Tue, May 15, 2012 at 03:17:17PM +0900, Norbert Preining wrote:
> > No, I hereby start saying good by to 3.0
>
> I'm hoping we can revisit 3.0 (git) post-squeeze, myself. But I have also
> found myself to be incompatible iwth 3.0 (quilt) and used 1.0 for my last
> few packages.

I can't see any reason to use 1.0 anymore, ever.

It is true that 3.0 (quilt) does have a great downside, quilt, but it also
has a number of upsides.  And working around quilt is simple:

echo "single-debian-patch" >debian/source/options
echo "/.pc" >>.gitignore
echo "/debian/patches" >>.gitignore

and perhaps "rm -rf .pc debian/patches" in the clean target if those bother
you -- and you have all the goodies that come with the 3.0 format, with
getting none of quilt brain damage onto you.  Suddenly, nothing conflicts
with the VCS you're using, nothing breaks bisects, nothing causes spurious
recompiles, etc.

Except for nuking upstream debian/ dir which can mean a bit of lost work if
the upstream is sane (and can save some if they're not), the 3.0 format is
strictly better than 1.0.

--
“This is gonna be as easy as cheating on an ethics exam!”
    -Cerise Brightmoon