Re: [poll] Ubuntu column on DDPO visible by default?

[ Back to the original subject for what concerns DDPO. I apologize for
  having mixed a (not so) brief review of my DPL whereabouts on
  derivatives with a personal opinion on the DDPO technical issue; I was
  just too lazy to send 2 separate mails, shame on me ! ]

On Fri, Aug 27, 2010 at 11:39:45AM +0200, Lucas Nussbaum wrote:
> You assume that, if we disable most of the columns, people will think
> "it's surprising that this interface doesn't do more, let's search the
> hidden options for more features", and thus add the additional columns
> they want. I don't think that it is a good solution (because it means
> that DDPO would be crippled by default).

Fair enough, this is a reasonable objection (although I believe we can
find a small enough set of columns that are useful and that don't
cripple DDPO by default, anyhow).

Here's a different suggestion I've mentioned briefly to Lucas on
IRC. Have a one liner at the top of the page like:

  You're currently not seeing the following columns: foo, bar, baz.
  You can [configure] that.

Where "configure" is a hyperlink to the current configuration panel.

That solution will adhere to general HCI principles of making the user
aware of the current state of the application and, at the same time,
give visibility to new useful columns as soon as people add them (which
is exactly your use case: you added new useful columns and you
reasonably desire that people are aware of their existence.

How about that?
Cheers.

ti resta John Fante -- V. Caposella .......| ..: |.......... -- C. Adams