Re: [poll] Ubuntu column on DDPO visible by default?

Hi,

On 25/08/10 at 23:51 +0200, Ana Guerrero wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 03, 2010 at 11:19:06AM -0400, Lucas Nussbaum wrote:
> > On 01/08/10 at 17:00 -0400, Lucas Nussbaum wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > There's an Ubuntu column on http://qa.debian.org/developer.php, but it
> > > is hidden by default, so many people ignore it exists.
> > >
> > > I propose to make it visible by default. Developers would still be able
> > > to hide it by editing their options (and there's a cookie to register
> > > that choice).
> > >
> > > I've set up a doodle poll to see what people think. Please contribute on
> > > http://www.doodle.com/5yqgqnrxhiha2nzm
> >
> > Results: 15 votes, 10 for making it visible by default, 5 against, and
> > nobody cared enough to start a flamewar on debian-qa@.
> >
> > So I'm making it visible by default now.
>
> uhm, I don't think a 2 days poll is long enough... I also have seen more
> people disagreeing that agreeing in the thread in -qa, maybe it is better
> to ask to a wider audience?

Maybe (as often) only the ones disagreeing decided to participate in the
thread on -qa@? Also, the thread has been silent since the end of
Debconf, so I'm quite surprised this come up now.

> About the change, I think caring about the status in Ubuntu should be
> something you choose and not something that is thrown at you by default
> whether you want it or not. Could you please revert this?

I think that the poll made it clear that a large majority of people on
-qa@ were in favor of the change. With such a minor change (disabling it
permanently for you is three clicks away -- Display config - Hide -
Submit), I think that a short poll on -qa@ was enough.

But if you disagree and want to start that discussion again, feel free
to start a poll on reverting the change in a wider audience, and with
the duration you consider appropriate. (When the details are ready, I
would prefer if you asked me beforehand if I also consider the poll
setup appropriate, so we don't get into a "my poll is more correct than
yours" problem.)

- Lucas