deprecating /usr as a standalone filesystem?

I have been told by upstream maintainers of one of my packages and by
prominent developers of other distributions that supporting a standalone
/usr is too much work and no other distribution worth mentioning does it
(not Ubuntu, not Fedora, not SuSE).

I know that Debian supports this, but I also know that maintaning
forever large changes to packages for no real gain sucks.

So, does anybody still see reasons to continue supporting a standalone
/usr?
If you do, please provide a detailed real-world use case.
A partial list of invalid reasons is:
- "I heard that this was popular in 1998"
- "it's a longstanding tradition to support this"
- "it's really useful on my 386 SX with a 40 MB hard disk"

--
ciao,
Marco