Re: deprecating /usr as a standalone filesystem?

Le mardi 05 mai 2009 à 17:36 +0200, Marco d'Itri a écrit :
> I have been told by upstream maintainers of one of my packages and by
> prominent developers of other distributions that supporting a standalone
> /usr is too much work and no other distribution worth mentioning does it
> (not Ubuntu, not Fedora, not SuSE).

Just for the record, what kind of issues is it causing? Is it about some
libraries needing to lie in /lib?

> So, does anybody still see reasons to continue supporting a standalone
> /usr?
> If you do, please provide a detailed real-world use case.

On my laptop, / is an encrypted partition while /usr is not. There is
nothing secret in my /usr, while there is in my /etc, and OTOH /usr
being unencrypted gives better performance.

Frankly, I could live without it.

--
 .''`.      Josselin Mouette
: :' :