Re: deprecating /usr as a standalone filesystem?

Marco d'Itri wrote:
> I have been told by upstream maintainers of one of my packages and by
> prominent developers of other distributions that supporting a standalone
> /usr is too much work and no other distribution worth mentioning does it
> (not Ubuntu, not Fedora, not SuSE).
BTW, last month Lennart Poettering began a discussion on
fedora-devel-list about deprecating /usr completely, i.e. symlinking it
to /:

https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2009-April/msg01063.html

It seems that most of the arguments on that thread against that change
were "but we won't be able to mount /usr separately that way!". I'm no
Fedora expert, but it sounds like it is actually a supported
configuration in Fedora.

Regards,
Faidon