Re: deprecating /usr as a standalone filesystem?

Marco d'Itri wrote:
> I have been told by upstream maintainers of one of my packages and by
> prominent developers of other distributions that supporting a standalone
> /usr is too much work and no other distribution worth mentioning does it
> (not Ubuntu, not Fedora, not SuSE).

Do you mean that:
1) /usr is dedicated to the system, (NFS sharing /usr across multiple
   independent systems would be out)

 -or-

2) /usr is part of the root partition, much like how /lib is now.

The latter implies the former, of course.

The last time I installed Red Hat Enterprise Linux (which was RHEL 5.2)
I was still given the option of making a separate partition for /usr. I
have never installed Fedora or SuSE. The last time I installed Ubuntu
was multiple years ago, so I don't know what they are doing currently.

Thank you for clearing up this point of confusion.

--
John H. Robinson, IV          jaqque@debian.org
                                                                 http  ((((