Re: deprecating /usr as a standalone filesystem?

Marco d'Itri wrote:
I have been told by upstream maintainers of one of my packages and by
prominent developers of other distributions that supporting a standalone
/usr is too much work and no other distribution worth mentioning does it
(not Ubuntu, not Fedora, not SuSE).

I know that Debian supports this, but I also know that maintaning
forever large changes to packages for no real gain sucks.

So, does anybody still see reasons to continue supporting a standalone
/usr?

On several server (and my desktop) I mount /usr as a separate partition and
read-only (with some hook in /etc/apt/ to temporary remount it).

Could you explain us why you want to discontinue supporting a standalone
/usr?

A partial invalid reason list:
- other distro want it!  (we are not other distro)
- it is easier! (we are hard men/women)

ciao
	cate