Re: deprecating /usr as a standalone filesystem?

On Tue, 05 May 2009, Marco d'Itri wrote:
> I know that Debian supports this, but I also know that maintaning
> forever large changes to packages for no real gain sucks.

I wonder what these are, and I hope you will start a separate thread with
that information.

> So, does anybody still see reasons to continue supporting a standalone
> /usr?

Yes.  We use that mode in _ALL_ servers.  We keep it read-only except while
applying security updates.  This means it *never* gets hosed by crashes, and
it is less vulnerable to accidental damage.

/ is also protected, using different strategies: it has to be read-write if
you want to keep sane right now, so we have in / only /root, /boot, /etc,
/bin and /sbin, plus mountpoints.  These almost never change, so the
filesystem is rarely modified.

  Henrique Holschuh