Re: deprecating /usr as a standalone filesystem?

On Tue, May 05, 2009 at 05:36:02PM +0200, Marco d'Itri wrote:
> I have been told by upstream maintainers of one of my packages and by
> prominent developers of other distributions that supporting a standalone
> /usr is too much work and no other distribution worth mentioning does it
> (not Ubuntu, not Fedora, not SuSE).
>
> I know that Debian supports this, but I also know that maintaning
> forever large changes to packages for no real gain sucks.
>
> So, does anybody still see reasons to continue supporting a standalone
> /usr?
> If you do, please provide a detailed real-world use case.
> A partial list of invalid reasons is:
> - "I heard that this was popular in 1998"
> - "it's a longstanding tradition to support this"
> - "it's really useful on my 386 SX with a 40 MB hard disk"

Scenarion A, desktop
  - / on non-LVM, fixed size, as recovery from a broken LVM setup is way
	harder if / is on LVM
  - /usr on LVM, as it can grow significantly, and having it on LVM is
	much more flexible

Scenario B, laptop/netbook
  - / non-encrypted, small, asks for passphrase to boot
  - everything else on dm-crypt+lvm

This seems a very weird proposition to me. Separate /usr works, as is
more flexible: needed space for / is < 500MB, needed space for /usr is >
4GB.

regards,
iustin