Re: deprecating /usr as a standalone filesystem?

On Tue, 5 May 2009 17:36:02 +0200
md@Linux.IT (Marco d'Itri) wrote:

> I have been told by upstream maintainers of one of my packages and by
> prominent developers of other distributions that supporting a
> standalone /usr is too much work and no other distribution worth
> mentioning does it (not Ubuntu, not Fedora, not SuSE).
>
> I know that Debian supports this, but I also know that maintaning
> forever large changes to packages for no real gain sucks.
>
> So, does anybody still see reasons to continue supporting a standalone
> /usr?
> If you do, please provide a detailed real-world use case.
> A partial list of invalid reasons is:
> - "I heard that this was popular in 1998"
> - "it's a longstanding tradition to support this"
> - "it's really useful on my 386 SX with a 40 MB hard disk"

This thread has been going on for quite some time without any insight
into what the actual problem with a separate /usr might be. Could you
please elaborate?

The only issues I can think of are hard links and atomic renames.
Though I can't think of any use-case where you would need this
between /usr and some place outside /usr.

Cheers,
harry