Re: How to handle Debian patches

On Mon, May 19, 2008 at 09:58:55AM -0500, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
>         And then you go saying things like that:
> > It is trivial to generate a quilt format package from git/arch/hg/svn
> > and I'm sure there will be a RCS-build-package soon enough that does
> > that.
>         This can not happen without manual intervention, if the topic
>  branches have overlap. And  Redoing the manual conflict resolution over

I stopped buying this argument (generally, not specifically from you) on
the basis that in most of the cases packages have several non
overlapping patches wrt upstream.  So the "trivial" part above is indeed
true for a lot of packages.

The remaining ones will indeed need manual intervention, but aren't this
kind of changes those which are supposed to be pushed upstream? So some
more burden on the developer on these rare (if you buy my statement
above) cases can even be beneficial from a social point of view.

Cheers.

zack@{upsilon.cc,cs.unibo.it,debian.org}  -<%>-  http://upsilon.cc/zack/