Re: How to handle Debian patches

On Tue, 20 May 2008 00:44:44 +0200, Stefano Zacchiroli <zack@debian.org> said:

> On Mon, May 19, 2008 at 09:58:55AM -0500, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
>> And then you go saying things like that:
>> > It is trivial to generate a quilt format package from
>> > git/arch/hg/svn and I'm sure there will be a RCS-build-package soon
>> > enough that does that.
>> This can not happen without manual intervention, if the topic
>> branches have overlap. And Redoing the manual conflict resolution
>> over

> I stopped buying this argument (generally, not specifically from you)
> on the basis that in most of the cases packages have several non
> overlapping patches wrt upstream.  So the "trivial" part above is
> indeed true for a lot of packages.

        If you want to only cater to package who currently do not have
 overlapping branches, sure. I am not sure I'll feel motivated enough to
 go along with a partial solution, but perhaps you do not need everyone
 buy-in.

> The remaining ones will indeed need manual intervention, but aren't
> this kind of changes those which are supposed to be pushed upstream?
> So some more burden on the developer on these rare (if you buy my
> statement above) cases can even be beneficial from a social point of
> view.

        While in theory evey divergence is something to be pushed
 upstream, and anything ihn ./debian/patches should disappear, in
 practice, for multitudinous reasons, we still have divergence.  Any
 policy that relies on this not being the case is, umm, being somewhat
 unrealistic.

        manoj
--
"In every country and every age, the priest has been hostile to
Liberty." Thomas Jefferson