Re: How to handle Debian patches

On Sat, May 17, 2008 at 10:18:58PM +0100, Roger Leigh wrote:
> The syntax for the fields also does not currently let you specify a
> branch or tag, it's just the whole repo.  Personally, I'd like it to
> allow specification of the branch/tag used to produce the specific
> release of the package in Sources.gz (or better, the latest
> development on that branch).
>
> For example:
>
>   Vcs-Git: git://git.debian.org/git/buildd-tools/schroot
>
> This gives you the master branch, but the Debian packages are actually
> on the schroot-1.2 stable release branch.  For people who want to hack
> on what's actually in use in Debian testing/unstable right now, this
> is the wrong branch.

This is coherent with the initial idea of the field: give a human being
(the Debian maintainer) a pointer to where the packages is being worked
on. Then you will need some additional information to know where to
look, as you would looking on the VCS tab of sourceforge or on the
author homepage.

If, as it seems to me, we are now starting to feel the need of having
more structure Vcs-* information so as to enable _automatic_ processing
of VCS information, well, let's sit down and standardize that. Though
note that this will need to be done on a per-Vcs basis, as concepts from
one VCS not necessarily apply to other (that's for example why we have
$VCS-buildpackage rather than a single vcs-buildpackage).

Cheers.

zack@{upsilon.cc,cs.unibo.it,debian.org}  -<%>-  http://upsilon.cc/zack/