Re: How to handle Debian patches

On Sat, 17 May 2008, Joey Hess wrote:
> Lucas Nussbaum wrote:
> > At some point, we will need to find a way to decide which v3 format we
> > are going to choose in adddition to the v3 (native) format (with a GR?).
> > We can't afford to allow several different v3 formats to coexist.
>
> The entire point of having support for multiple source formats in
> dpkg-source, and allowing it to extract any of those formats, and build
> a source package using any of those formats, is to allow multiple
> formats to be used.

Yes, but not necessarily on ftp-master.debian.org.

> What you're suggesting is equivilant to us deciding by GR which helper
> system can be used in the rules file.

I can understand how one can would have that feeling. But for me it's more
like the policy process where we make decision of what's reasonable for us
based on what's possible.

As a dpkg maintainer, I can imagine scenario where the new source package
formats are sensible to use and as such I gave my support to include them
in the set of "what's possible".

As a Debian package maintainer however I'm convinced that we'd be better
served by having only native + 3.0 quilt. The VCS comes _before_ the
source package and the source package is just an export from the VCS.

> It would stifle any futher innovation in source formats. That's a
> particularly cruel thing to do when such innovation is just getting
> started after an interminable period of stasis.

I can understand that if they are not allowed on ftp-master.d.o it means
that they'll get less exposure. However, I really think that there's quite
some work left to do before I would find it acceptable to use .git.tar.gz
as replacement for .orig+.diff or the v3 quilt format. I already explained
many of the shortcomings that concern me so I won't repeat them here (see
our discussion on debian-dpkg on that topic).

However I think that .git.tar.gz would be acceptable as replacement
for native packages (like debhelper for example).

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog