Re: How to handle Debian patches

On Mon, 19 May 2008 10:42:54 +0200, Goswin von Brederlow
<goswin-v-b@web.de> said:

        Hmm. You say things like this:
> Because the git format is imho conceptualy broken and the
> implementation is far from completely thought out.

        And then you go saying things like that:
> It is trivial to generate a quilt format package from git/arch/hg/svn
> and I'm sure there will be a RCS-build-package soon enough that does
> that.

        This can not happen without manual intervention, if the topic
 branches have overlap. And  Redoing the manual conflict resolution over
 and over and over again is a burden (the manual conflict resolution
 lives generally in the integration branch history, and can be done
 once, and mostly ignored from that point on).

        Now, the quilt series has to be regenerated on every new
 version, or whenever any topic branch gets an input; and doing the
 manual conflict resolution every time might not result in the same
 output (and not just through human error). This brings into question
 the utility of the series: the quilt series is not what the package is
 built from, and might not accurately reflect the integration branch; so
 I am told that from a security review viewpoint the resulting quilt
 series is not that useful.

        Allow me to illustrate:
 Suppose there is a file that has 10 lines:
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10

        I have a topic branch called Odd:
101
2
103
4
105
6
107
8
9
10
        And another one called even:
1
202
3
204
5
206
7
208
9
10

        Every change in either branch  will result in a conflict when
 trying to apply the second patch, though in this example the conflict
 resolution is trivial.  Can you demonstrate a tool that will correctly
 generate a quilt series from these branches?

        manoj
--
The meek are contesting the will.