Re: How to handle Debian patches

On Mon, 19 May 2008, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
> Josselin Mouette <joss@debian.org> writes:
>
> > Le dimanche 18 mai 2008 à 12:00 +0200, Raphael Hertzog a écrit :
> >> As a Debian package maintainer however I'm convinced that we'd be better
> >> served by having only native + 3.0 quilt. The VCS comes _before_ the
> >> source package and the source package is just an export from the VCS.
> >
> >> However I think that .git.tar.gz would be acceptable as replacement
> >> for native packages (like debhelper for example).
> >
> > Full ACK.
>
> Full NACK.

Please stop using "NACK" on public lists, it's badly connotated. It looks
like you're forbidding someone else to do something as if you had some
veto power.

> I would rather have native packages in 3.0 quilt format. Initialy they
> would have no patches but NMU uploads would automatically generate
> one.

If the maintainer decides to use a git-based format it's probably also
because he prefers receving NMU as git branch in a new upload instead of
a patch.

So I don't see why you would refuse that liberty to the maintainer.

It's not like the "native" package option will disappear...

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog