Re: How to handle Debian patches

Lucas Nussbaum wrote:
> At some point, we will need to find a way to decide which v3 format we
> are going to choose in adddition to the v3 (native) format (with a GR?).
> We can't afford to allow several different v3 formats to coexist.

The entire point of having support for multiple source formats in
dpkg-source, and allowing it to extract any of those formats, and build
a source package using any of those formats, is to allow multiple
formats to be used.

What you're suggesting is equivilant to us deciding by GR which helper
system can be used in the rules file. It would stifle any futher
innovation in source formats. That's a particularly cruel thing to do
when such innovation is just getting started after an interminable
period of stasis.

--
see shy jo