Re: Why does Ubuntu have all the ideas?

On Fri, Jul 28, 2006 at 11:50:29PM +0200, Eduard Bloch wrote:
> > Prepare the upload (more time) upload (..) get flamed by the
> > maintainer because the period was too short ...
> Have you set a proper ultimatum and have you made understandable that
> you are going to NMU? I usually do it this way so the terms are clear
> for both sides. And/or using delayed upload to not forget about the
> time period.

I see your point, and it helps avoiding hatred between involved DDs of
course.

But the issues of disagreement on the topic of a given NMU was not my
point. It was rather to ease as much as possible the flow of code from
DDs workstations to debian packages.

Preparing packages and uploading them (the 'debian development model' if
you want a name) is not the usual workflow I use when collaboratively
developing for work or in other free sw projects I'm involved in. And as
a model is terribly slow and hinder improvements.

Most of the time it is also way more committing than simply submitting
some code to a VCS. Preparing and uploading a package require you to fix
a version number and give some sort of "official" status to something
that can be just a work in progress.

We should strive to simplify that model and it happens that we do have a
working alternative (packages collaboratively maintained on alioth), we
should just use it extensively.

Cheers.