Re: Why does Ubuntu have all the ideas?

#include <hallo.h>
* Stefano Zacchiroli [Fri, Jul 28 2006, 10:40:03PM]:
> On Fri, Jul 28, 2006 at 06:55:26PM +0200, Fabio Tranchitella wrote:
> >     If you need to apply a patch to one of my packages for a
> > non-critical bug in order to complete an integration work, please send
> > me the patch by BTS and if I do not reply in a few days feel free to
> > upload an NMU.
> >
> >     How many Debian maintainers think the same? I'm sure there are a lot
> > of them who do not soffer of the "this is my package, go away" syndrome.
>
> I feel the same, but you're completely ignoring behavioural aspects of
> DDs (and of developers in general).
>
> Let's look at the issue from the other side. I'm a DD, I found an easy
> to fix bug in another package. I submit a bug report + patch (takes some
> time), then after the period I deem appropriate for an NMU (some more
> time) I'm ready for the NMU (assuming I did not forget about the bug
> report of course).  Prepare the upload (more time) upload (..) get
> flamed by the maintainer because the period was too short ...

Have you set a proper ultimatum and have you made understandable that
you are going to NMU? I usually do it this way so the terms are clear
for both sides. And/or using delayed upload to not forget about the
time period.

And I also had cases where someone NMUed my package after three days or
so without warnings, and IIRC without posting a final diff. That sucks!
Imagine you have a local version which is almost ready and which just
needs 1-2 days more testing. Now you need to get the diff from the NMU
somehow and integrate into the local version management, along with
other changes which need to be moved to another version in the
changelog, etc.

Eduard.
--
16:13 <Alfie> Die Leute heutzutage sind sooooo ungeduldig, das ist ein
	Wahnsinn.