Re: Why does Ubuntu have all the ideas?

On Sat, 29 Jul 2006 00:31:53 +0200, Stefano Zacchiroli <zack@debian.org> said:

[...]

> But the issues of disagreement on the topic of a given NMU was not my
> point. It was rather to ease as much as possible the flow of code from
> DDs workstations to debian packages.

[... some good stuff snipped ...]

> We should strive to simplify that model and it happens that we do have
> a working alternative (packages collaboratively maintained on alioth),
> we should just use it extensively.

I more or less agree with what you said.  There are a few ways,
currently, that people can contribute to Debian packages, such as
submitting bugs to the BTS, doing NMUs, or trying to organize
collaborative maintenance (through alioth, or other mechanisms).  And I
think that each has its place.

There are packages that I'd like to see improved, but I don't have time
to dedicate to maintaining them, so I may send a patch.  Or, if the
maintainer seems unresponsive, and the bug is important enough, I may do
an NMU (which of course does place extra burden on me, since now I have
to follow the package to make sure I didn't introduce bugs).  And
conversely, for packages that I maintain, I welcome patches, and if I
seem to be unresponsive, an NMU may be in order.

And, of course, packages that I care more about, if I have time and it
seems like the current maintainer needs help, I may offer to co-maintain
the package (and conversely, for packages that I maintain, I may welcome
co-maintainers as well, depending on the package -- for some packages,
the overhead of co-maintenance is greater than any benefit that we might
get).

--
Hubert Chan - email & Jabber: hubert@uhoreg.ca - http://www.uhoreg.ca/
PGP/GnuPG key: 1024D/124B61FA   (Key available at wwwkeys.pgp.net)