Re: Why does Ubuntu have all the ideas?

Steve Kemp <skx@debian.org> wrote:

>   Neither Ubuntu nor Debian do anything special to get hardware support
>  that is provided by the kernel proper and tools that neither group
>  created.

That's not actually true. I do a lot of work in Ubuntu to add extra
hardware support. All the code gets pushed upstream so will end up in
Debian too, but Ubuntu's lack of a concept of package ownership makes it
massively easier to do integration work - rather than filing half a
dozen bugs and having to chase people up, I can just upload the
packages. Given the amount of time I currently have available to me, I
tend to choose the latter. If Debian had slightly less of a culture of
"Keep your hands off my package", I'd do it here instead.

--
Matthew Garrett | mjg59-chiark.mail.debian.devel@srcf.ucam.org