Re: Is Ubuntu a debian derivative or is it a fork?

On Tue, 7 Jun 2005, Matt Zimmerman wrote:

This is the first time that you have mentioned the amount as a criteria in
this discussion.  However, I fail to see what the point is here, whether a
repository includes one package or 1,000 packages.
Well, I was not really saying it explicitely in

but I've thought it must be clear what I mean.  Especially the sentence

    My impression was that Ubuntu would directly derive
    from sid and universe would be kind of a sid mirror.

should have given you a hint that I just learned something new about
Ubuntu which does qualify as a fork.

http://developer.linuxtag.net/knoppix/sources/
OK

$ lynx -dump  http://developer.linuxtag.net/knoppix/sources/ | grep "\.dsc" | wc -l
1102
$ lynx -dump  http://developer.linuxtag.net/knoppix/sources/ | grep "\.dsc" | grep -v knoppix | grep -v knx | wc -l
168

Most of these 168 packages are not in Debian and the remaining ones made
Klaus big headaches to reach the final goal to build a live CD.  It was
not the goal to recompile all Debian source packages obviousely.  Now
count the packages in sid and ask why they are not duplicated at the
Knoppix mirror.

I would be interested to know what the real live issues are, and whether
they apply only to Knoppix or to other derivatives as well.
Well, Matt.  Did you really not recognized that we completely
missunderstood each other in every single sentence.  Lets assume
it is me with my dissability to do reasonable conversation in written
English.  Why should we continue this chat.  If you are really
interested just ask me personally if we should meet at a conference.

So am I to understand that you object to Debian source packages being
distributed other than as part of a Debian mirror?  This still doesn't make
any sense to me whatsoever.
You seem to try to pick up every little bit of my mails which is able
to drift us away from the main point:

   Lets minimize the amount of work by beeing as compatible as
   possible.  The best way is to have a diff of zero bytes.

Kind regards

         Andreas.

--
http://fam-tille.de