Re: Is Ubuntu a debian derivative or is it a fork?

On Sun, Jun 05, 2005 at 09:17:26AM +0200, Andreas Tille wrote:

> I have to admit that I was not aware that there is something in parallel
> in this universe that the Debian mirrors which is providing *.deb packages
> of free software.

This seems incredible to me.  What did you mean by this?  You have never
heard of Knoppix, Morphix, Xebian, or the huge number of other, similar
distributions?  apt-get.org?  Christian Marillat's repository of packages?

> My impression was that Ubuntu would directly derive from sid and universe
> would be kind of a sid mirror.

Ubuntu is a derivative of Debian; this is what it has always been.  It is
different from some other derivatives in that it is derived at the source
level, and does not use binary packages from Debian.

--
 - mdz