Re: Is Ubuntu a debian derivative or is it a fork?

On Tue, 7 Jun 2005, Matt Zimmerman wrote:

On Mon, Jun 06, 2005 at 11:21:35PM +0200, Andreas Tille wrote:

On Mon, 6 Jun 2005, Matt Zimmerman wrote:

heard of Knoppix, Morphix,
They do not provide an apt-get - able Debian mirror.

They provide free software in .deb format.
Not really - as far as you don't consider dpkg-repack they do not
really, but we could spent our time better than just splittig hairs.

What does dpkg-repack have to do with it?
Please provide an URL to the place where Knoppix and Morphix
   "provide free software in .deb format"
in a comparable amount to Ubuntus universe.  If you fail here you
know the reason why I assumed that you mean I could build something
like that using dpkg-repack.  If you succeed I would have learned
something new about these LiceCD distributions.

Those organizations package free
software in Debian format and distribute it.
Where can I have the slightes sign, that they *package* software which
is just packaged inside Debian and provide these packages anywhere in
a apt-get accessible archive?

In most instances, the
packages which are specific to these derivatives have not been incorporated
into Debian.
Well, at least Klaus Knopper - please I talked to him personally in our
mother language - is convinced that this integration would be great.
Unfortunately there are real live issues which did not made this happen.

Certainly you are aware of this, since you refer to work you have done to
try to incorporate these extensions, so I don't understand your earlier
statement that you were not aware of the existence of such projects, nor do
I understand why you seem to imply that Ubuntu should be treated differently
in this respect.
I was not aware and I am not aware of archives which store a really large
amount of software in Deb format by just duplicating packages available
in the Debian archive in source.  The examples you gave were very weak
and BTW, even if there would be tons of examples: I fail to see the reason
why there should be something else which is just duplicating the work
which is just done.  I was never a friend of the argument: I'm just doing
it because somebody else is doing it as well.

If we want to talk about Knoppix and friends we should do this at Debconf
when having a beer together, but we now should save our time.

Kind regards

          Andreas.

--
http://fam-tille.de