Re: Is Ubuntu a debian derivative or is it a fork?

On Sun, 5 Jun 2005, Matt Zimmerman wrote:

This seems incredible to me.  What did you mean by this?  You have never
heard of Knoppix, Morphix,
They do not provide an apt-get - able Debian mirror.

Xebian,
I really have not heard about this.

or the huge number of other, similar
distributions?
Knoppix and Morphix are Live CDs which have a quite different purpose than
beeing a distribution.  They have an install feature which is questionable
but usable and they recommend the Debian mirror for further upgrades.
(I hope that I'm not missleaded about Morphix - what I wrote is from my
Knoppix experience.)

apt-get.org?
It's kind of funny that you try to compare apt-get.org with Ubuntu universe. :)

Christian Marillat's repository of packages?
... and this is even more funny. :)
I like Christian's work but we all know why it exists ...

Ubuntu is a derivative of Debian; this is what it has always been.  It is
different from some other derivatives in that it is derived at the source
level, and does not use binary packages from Debian.
Yes. And my question was: Why?  You told yourself that the man power is so
low.  Perhaps you start understanding that I ask this question not to
offend but to help you because I'm happy about the things Ubuntu also
gave back to Debian.  I never asked those questions to random Debian
derivatives,  but feel free to search the debian-knoppix list archive
where I voted for integration of cruxial software for Knoppix right into
Debian do take the burden from Klaus Knopper.  It might be that I had
some glasses of beer with Klaus that he got my arguing right ...

Kind regards

         Andreas.

--
http://fam-tille.de