Re: Is Ubuntu a debian derivative or is it a fork?

On Mon, Jun 06, 2005 at 08:28:26AM +0200, Andreas Tille wrote:
> On Sun, 5 Jun 2005, Matt Zimmerman wrote:
>
> >This seems incredible to me.  What did you mean by this?  You have never
> >heard of Knoppix, Morphix,
> They do not provide an apt-get - able Debian mirror.

They provide free software in .deb format.

> >apt-get.org?
> It's kind of funny that you try to compare apt-get.org with Ubuntu
> universe. :)

"I was not aware that there is something in parallel in this universe that
the Debian mirrors which is providing *.deb packages of free software"

I'm not sure that I have understood your sentence correctly, given what you
just said.

> >Ubuntu is a derivative of Debian; this is what it has always been.  It is
> >different from some other derivatives in that it is derived at the source
> >level, and does not use binary packages from Debian.
> Yes. And my question was: Why?

As far as I know you have not asked this question before.  Some of the
reasons for using our own build infrastructure are:

- Assurance that the builds we distribute are reproducible in an Ubuntu
  environment
- Being able to carry out large-scale dependency transitions (such as moving
  to a new version of a shared library)
- Avoiding dependence on Debian infrastructure
- Consistent, clean builds (no binaries are uploaded by individual
  developers in a potentially tainted environment)
- The ability to experiment with compile-time enhancements, such as
  proactive security

>  You told yourself that the man power is so low.

That was in discussion of an entirely different point.

> Perhaps you start understanding that I ask this question not to offend but
> to help you because I'm happy about the things Ubuntu also gave back to
> Debian.  I never asked those questions to random Debian derivatives,  but
> feel free to search the debian-knoppix list archive where I voted for
> integration of cruxial software for Knoppix right into Debian do take the
> burden from Klaus Knopper.  It might be that I had some glasses of beer
> with Klaus that he got my arguing right ...

As far as I know, the interesting extensions that Knoppix adds to Debian are
still not integrated into Debian, nor are ITPs filed, nor patches filed in
the BTS, despite repeated discussions about this over the past several
years.  There is an Alioth project which has no activity.  Have I missed
some new development in this area?  You seem to imply that you had some
success.

--
 - mdz