Re: Is Ubuntu a debian derivative or is it a fork?

On Sun, 5 Jun 2005, Daniel Holbach wrote:

We get those people there. Our NEW packages policy states that every
completely new package has to be reviewed by at least 3 maintainers or
MOTUs. The packages in question are in a pretty good state and the MOTU
hopefuls work incredibly hard to get into it.
Sounds like a good quality measure.

I have to admit that I was not aware that there is something in parallel
in this universe that the Debian mirrors which is providing *.deb packages
of free software.  My impression was that Ubuntu would directly derive
from sid and universe would be kind of a sid mirror.  If this is not
the case I really wonder why we are discussing about forks, spoons or
other kind of cutlery.  IMHO this is a clear sign that Ubunto is
drifting away from Debian.  Please note: I never said that this is bad
or a problem for me.  I just thought that joining forces in Free Software
is the most effective way and I wonder why Ubuntu did not decided to
add what is missing in Debian instead of making an extra effort.  But
it must be me that I do not understand all things which happen ...

Kind regards

          Andreas.

--
http://fam-tille.de