Re: Frank Carmickle and Marco Paganini must die

Adam McKenna <adam@flounder.net> writes:

> > Many ISPs which sell both static and dynamic IPs assign them out of
> > exactly the same range in an indistinguishable manner.
>
> No, they don't.  What the hell are you talking about?

I said "many".  You say, "no they don't".  Are you really asserting
that every ISP out there allocates dynamic and static IPs from
different ranges?  Is it not more likely that they choose whichever
method better suits their own procedures?

There are ISPs which provide a constant IP address from their normal
dynamic block, and they promise that you will always get the same
address when you DHCP.  Is that "dynamic" or "static"?  It seems
static to me.

There are ISPs which use a block of dynamic addresses and a block of
static ones, but which you aren't going to be able to tell which is
which externally.

You have already been asked for how you think you can externally tell
whether an IP address is dynamic or static, and you asserted first
that I wasn't really asking, and then you answered that you didn't
know and I should ask someone else.

Now you have made a claim about what every single ISP on the planet
does, with, I expect, no evidence to back it up.  (And it's going to
be tough, since I know at least two university-based ISPs which do
exactly what I said.)

Thomas