Re: Frank Carmickle and Marco Paganini must die

On Thu, Sep 23, 2004 at 11:58:17AM -0700, Thomas Bushnell BSG wrote:
> Adam McKenna <adam@flounder.net> writes:
>
> > > Many ISPs which sell both static and dynamic IPs assign them out of
> > > exactly the same range in an indistinguishable manner.
> >
> > No, they don't.  What the hell are you talking about?
>
> I said "many".  You say, "no they don't".  Are you really asserting
> that every ISP out there allocates dynamic and static IPs from
> different ranges?  Is it not more likely that they choose whichever
> method better suits their own procedures?
>
> There are ISPs which provide a constant IP address from their normal
> dynamic block, and they promise that you will always get the same
> address when you DHCP.  Is that "dynamic" or "static"?  It seems
> static to me.

Yes, you can do that, but almost no commercial ISP does that, for many good
reasons.

> There are ISPs which use a block of dynamic addresses and a block of
> static ones, but which you aren't going to be able to tell which is
> which externally.
>
> You have already been asked for how you think you can externally tell
> whether an IP address is dynamic or static, and you asserted first
> that I wasn't really asking, and then you answered that you didn't
> know and I should ask someone else.

And I have already indicated to you that I have no interest in arguing
semantics with you.  If your ISP has told you that you have a static IP and
you are being blocked by people using dynamic-IP DNSBL's, then you have a
legitimate beef with your ISP.

--Adam

--
Adam McKenna  <adam@debian.org>  <adam@flounder.net>