Re: How should stalin be handled on slower architectures?

On Thu, Sep 23, 2004 at 04:52:21PM +0800, Cameron Patrick wrote:
> Florian Weimer wrote:
>
> > Mandatory cross-compilation of Debian packages is the only long-term
> > answer to this set of problem because we won't magically get more
> > address space or MIPS for legacy and embedded architectures.
>
> A lot of packages don't support full cross-compilation.  I suppose
> using distcc or similar will help a bit and not need modification to
> packages, though.

Using scratchbox (www.scratchbox.org) most packages can be compiled
without worrying about the normal cross-compiling issues.  And
scratchbox is available as debian-packages (in fact, scratchbox is
developed mainly for a Debian environment...)

At the moment, only ARM, x86 and PPC are supported (simply because of
the developers' focus), but since it's a GPL'd project, adding support
for other platforms is simply an issue of putting down the effort =)

Scratchbox performs most of the compilation using a cross-compiler,
but all things that require the real thing (things like binaries that run
on the target during configure-phase, etc.) are built using either
cpu-transparency (a real machine) or emulation (qemu).

[snip]

Regards: David Weinehall
--
 /) David Weinehall <tao@acc.umu.se> /) Northern lights wander      (\
//  Maintainer of the v2.0 kernel   //  Dance across the winter sky //