On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 22:18:14 +1100, Matthew Palmer <mpalmer@debian.org> said:

> On Thu, Feb 12, 2004 at 04:35:53AM -0600, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
>> By the gripping hand, nagging at volunteers, and trying to get them
>> replaced, when coming from idle bystanders, is also not how things
>> get done.

> Hang on, you're saying that Nathanel is an idle bystander?  I think

	Yes, I am.  If he is not working as a apprentice RM, he is an
 idle bystander. As am I. As are you.  People who genuinely cared to
 relieve AJ's load volunteered to help take off some of the tasks of
 the RM, learning the ropes as they went.

> you need to wander around the l.d.o archives for a bit.  He knows
> and does a hell of a lot more than some DDs.  He's active in QA, RM,

	So what?

> and d-legal.  Calling him an "idle bystander" because he doesn't
> have his key in the debian keyring is incredibly cruel to
> Nathanael's contributions to the Project.

	What's with people jumping to illogical conclusions today?
 You seem to have the bee in your bonnet that somehow  there is a war
 between DD's and non-DD's -- and this is not condusive to running the
 project smoothly.

	Lose the chip on your shoulder, and come to this discussion
 using logic, not emotions.

> As for the other people involved in this discussion, by all
> appearances none of the key figures are "idle bystanders" - they're
> all people who are trying to get things done, and one way or another
> the work is not getting done.

	If they are not working as apprentice RM's they are idle
 bystanders when it comes to nagging AJ. (And, analogously, for other
 positions).

> I think you are being overly dismissive of the contributions of
> those who do not have the hallowed debian.org e-mail address.  No
> wonder people are so desperate to get accounts - when they're
> stymied at every turn by existing developers, dismissed with insults
> and unwarranted criticism.

	I think you are being overly combative, and seem to be working
 from a weird feeling of insecurity, or something. When you have
 gotten it out of your system that I have some strange adulation for a
 @d.o email address, you can come back and re-engage me in
 conversation.

> It saddens me that, even here, we can't deal with people on the
> basis of merit, and instead form our cliques and shun outsiders.

	Merit is hard t gauge. Contribution is not. I deal with people
 on the basis of "show me the code",  and past and present
 contribution to the task.

	manoj
--
AUTHOR FvwmAuto just appeared one day, nobody knows how. FvwmAuto(1x)