> On Wed, Feb 11, 2004 at 01:43:44PM +0100, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
> > Anthony Towns <aj@azure.humbug.org.au> writes:
> > > Good thing you're not a developer and thus don't get any say, then. This
> > > sort of brow-beating isn't appropriate conduct.
> > Come on aj, when you have 20 jobs and all suffer because you don't
> > have enough time isn't it then time to give up one of them.
>
> No, that's the time for other people to offer assistance you can use. If

Perfectly usable assistance was offered. If some (unarguably) bonehead
came along, wanted to take over a jobs and got rejected no big
argument would have arisen. That was not the case.

> they're not able or willing to do that, well tough luck. Offering
> assistance that they don't want isn't particularly valuable, complaining
> about it is counterproductive, and attacking the people for not doing
> what you want is unacceptable.

Blocking perfectly useable assistance for ones own ego or because the
other person has a curved nose or something and not for reasons with
any foundation is part of the problem (exagerated to wake you up).

Complaining about it is the only way something can be changed short of
forking your own project. You can argue about the means or medium used
to complain but forking, as you suggest below, certainly isn't healthy
for the project.

The important part is not wether _they_ want the assistance but wether
_Debian_ wants and _needs_ it. If someone personal feelings are bad
for the project who else to ask to intervene if not the project
leader? Thats my personal opinion and I hope many share it: The
project is more important than any one person.

Also note that what was asked includes that work is shared and not
just taken away from James and Ryan. Martin wasn't asked to visit
James or Ryan and take their computers away. Encouraging them to accept
help from others is valid resolution and I don't see anything wrong
with distributing work that benefits from it.

> > Also he is a user so you are working FOR HIM. You should jump at any
> > wish he has little geene. :)
>
> No, I'm not working for him at all. Perhaps you'd like to show me the
> employment contract and the pay slips that indicate otherwise?

Your contract is the social contract and your payment is the fun you
get out of it. Brighten up, the <mean mode> and the :) was there for a
reason.

> If you want to help, there are plenty of ways. If you're only willing

Show me one way I can participate that is not hindered by James or
Ryan in some way for me. Unless you find something completly new I
will show you how it would be easier without their bottlenecks. Its
the first time I brush up against Ryan but I run up against the James
wall many times, probably many more than he knows.

> to help in some particular ways that aren't desired, go setup your own
> distribution with our blessing.

Already have so to speak (debian-amd64), its user numbers and support
are continously growing.

> Cheers,
> aj

MfG