Re: Debian IS for the enterprise

At 15:51 26/11/2003, John Goerzen wrote:
On Wed, Nov 26, 2003 at 01:07:23PM +0100, Ralf Hildebrandt wrote:
> > Could you point me at the specific paragraph in either the constitution
> > or the social contract, or in perhaps any other official document by the
> > Debian project as a whole that supports this statement?
>
> Especially since stable doesn't even install on recent server boxes...

Oh, I guess you must be talking about things like our new rack-mount
PowerEdge 2650 with aacraid built in?  A machine that the stable CD
installed with no trouble whatsoever?

Well, i must admit Woody r1 did not install on our new Dell PE2600 SCSI servers last June because of its newer MegaRaid ( what a pity Dell does not offer proper support for Debian and only for RedHat! )... nothing a little kernel upgrade in the boot-floppies and burning another ISO for the first CD could not overcome ;-)

What are you talking about?  Supporting new server hardware is not the
same as supporting the latest graphics card.  At *worst*, you can pop in
a new kernel and be good to go.

...except when it would not detect your harddrives and adding an additional IDE one to install into is not an option :-|
The workaround is the one i described, or at least it worked for me.