Re: Debian IS for the enterprise (Was: Debian Enterprise?)

On Wed, Nov 26, 2003 at 04:27:26PM +0100, Turbo Fredriksson wrote:
> Quoting Andreas Tille <tillea@rki.de>:
>
> > On Wed, 26 Nov 2003, Turbo Fredriksson wrote:
> >
> > > That have absolutely nothing to do with the issue(s)! I say again: The problem
> > > with getting releases out the door in a timely manner (no, two years between
> > > releases is NOT 'timely manner'!!) is the shear size of the distribution.
> > Hmm, are you aware that long living releases are exactly what enterprises
> > regard as an advantage and that this would support your "Enterprise-only-idea"?
>
> Two-three years? No way!

Uhm.

In the winter of 2001-2002, I worked at interim at a certain large
multinational corporation (whose name I shall not share, since I don't
know whether they'd like me sharing this kind of information; but which
most certainly qualifies for the definition of the term "enterprise"),
where they had just started migrating their desktops to Windows 2000...
from Windows '95. Yes, that means that before 2001, they did not install
anything on their desktops except for Windows '95.

Isn't that, like, 5-6 years?

And we're talking about desktops here. Not servers, where enterprises
usually take a while longer than on their desktop to migrate to
different systems.

--
Wouter Verhelst
"Stop breathing down my neck." "My breathing is merely a simulation."