Re: About NM and Next Release

On Thu, Aug 07, 2003 at 03:57:10PM -0700, Steve Lamb wrote:
> On Thu, 7 Aug 2003 23:25:41 +0100
> Andrew Suffield <asuffield@debian.org> wrote:
> > I *do not* want people to contribute *because* they "like the
> > project".
>
>     What other reason would their be?  Why would they want to contribute to a
> project they don't like esp. when there is no financial gain for it?  IE, do
> what you like.  If you don't like it, don't do it.

I suspect you will never understand, and therefore will probably never
get an account.

Anybody who has to ask "Why should I/we/they contribute?" is not
suitable for Debian. (The "answer", incidentally, is "because we can"
or "because it's there", or some other variation; it is a goal in
itself, and not a means to an end)

>     I suspect what you mean to say is that you don't want people to contribute
> *solely* based on the fact that they like the project.  You, however, have not
> yet mentioned that.

True but misleading. Liking the project, or not, is not actually
relevant - which is why it's a bad reason to join. And hey, that's
what I actually said, rather than any of the things you've claimed I
said.

> > They should find some other reason to contribute. Preferably one which
> > makes sense. We've suggested one or two in other parts of this thread.
>
>     Such as?

Wow. You really *weren't* listening.

Having some specific, valuable things they want to contribute would be
a good one - like maintaining a package or group of packages. (That
doesn't necessarily mean they'll get an account, but it's a good
reason to try)

> > Please tell me you are not seriously taking the words of Sherlock
> > Holmes as the foundation of all logic.
>
>     Of course not.  But if the shoe fits.

That's the fallacy of indiscriminate extrapolation. Just because 1 ==
1 does not mean that for any two integers, they are equal.

In this case, you happened to be wrong, so...

> > Is this merely an attempt at libel, or are you really that confused?
>
>     Neither.  I am pointing out that someone liking a project is hardly a
> reason to reject them out of hand.

An idea which you made up entirely on your own, and then attributed to
me. So which is it?

 : :' :  http://www.debian.org/ |