Re: About NM and Next Release

On Thu, Aug 07, 2003 at 12:56:24PM -0700, Steve Lamb wrote:
> On Thu, 7 Aug 2003 20:23:48 +0100
> Andrew Suffield <asuffield@debian.org> wrote:
> > On Thu, Aug 07, 2003 at 12:06:39PM -0700, Steve Lamb wrote:
> > >     *cough*  Oh, right, we should hate Debian, loathe it before joining,
> > > right?
> > Do you have difficulty with English? That is not what I said.
>
>     No.  But you said that the opposite is the wrong reason.  If we like
> Debian it is a bad reason to want to contribute.  So the it is only logical to
> presume that if you feel liking is a bad reason disliking might very well be a
> good one.

That's *logical*? Rather, it's *absurd*.

> Of course that isn't true, I was just showing the farce of your
> statement.  Obviously you want people who like the project to contribute.

You have failed miserably at understanding my statement. I do not want
people to contribute because they "like the project". This is not
"obvious"; moreover, it's wrong.

None of which implies that they have to "hate" the project before
joining.

> > My whole  point is that Debian does not need people who need encouraging. We
> > need people who will do the work *without* encouragement, mostly
> > because they ain't going to get any.
>
>     But it doesn't have to actively shun and discourage people who want to
> contribute, either, does it?

Correct, it does not have to. Neither does it have to avoid doing
so.

> > If you are attempting to suggest that people should be given accounts
> > as a form of encouragement, then there are two problems with this
> > idea:
>
>     No, I am pointing out that it appears that Debian, on the whole, needs an
> attitude readjustment.  On the one hand you have d.o people blasting people
> for not contributing and on the other you have d.o people discouraging people
> from contributing.  You cannot have it both ways.

Uhm, yes we can. Did you read what I wrote? We want people who will be
unaffected by such things. Note that the fact that we self-select for
such people is the cause, rather than the result, of this.

 : :' :  http://www.debian.org/ |