Re: About NM and Next Release

On Thu, Aug 07, 2003 at 12:06:39PM -0700, Steve Lamb wrote:
> On Thu, 7 Aug 2003 17:23:17 +0100
> Andrew Suffield <asuffield@debian.org> wrote:
> > On Thu, Aug 07, 2003 at 12:27:00AM +0300, Richard Braakman wrote:
> > > Because you think it's an awesome group with laudable goals and you
> > > want to contribute?
>
> > TBH, that's a lousy reason to join Debian. Send a cheque or something.
>
>     *cough*  Oh, right, we should hate Debian, loathe it before joining,
> right?

Do you have difficulty with English? That is not what I said.

> > I'm not sure there are any good ones other than having some specific
> > (technical, not political) things you want to see done and are willing
> > to do. In that case, you won't have to be told to demonstrate stuff -
> > you'll just do it, because you want to.
>
>     Bull.  Do you know how many times people with d.o accounts will blast
> others to "do something!"  Obviously this isn't enough yet it seems like
> Debian doesn't want to encourage people who want to do the rarest of things...
> contribute.

And that doesn't make any sense; what are you talking about? My whole
point is that Debian does not need people who need encouraging. We
need people who will do the work *without* encouragement, mostly
because they ain't going to get any.

If you are attempting to suggest that people should be given accounts
as a form of encouragement, then there are two problems with this
idea:

1) It's insane. This is not a club.

2) It only works once. Those people will be "encouraged" for about a
week, then they'll go MIA, because they won't get any more ego
boosters. Which is why we don't need them.

 : :' :  http://www.debian.org/ |