Re: About NM and Next Release

On Thu, Aug 07, 2003 at 02:26:57PM -0700, Steve Lamb wrote:
> On Thu, 7 Aug 2003 21:23:20 +0100
> Andrew Suffield <asuffield@debian.org> wrote:
> > > Of course that isn't true, I was just showing the farce of your
> > > statement.  Obviously you want people who like the project to contribute.
>
> > You have failed miserably at understanding my statement. I do not want
> > people to contribute because they "like the project". This is not
> > "obvious"; moreover, it's wrong.
>
>     Uh, no.  You have 3 possible pools.
>
> 1: Someone likes Debian.
> 2: Someone dislikes Debian.
> 3: Someone hasn't formed an opinion of Debian or doesn't care about Debian.
>
>     Do you want contributions from 2 or 3?  IE, someone who dislikes it or
> someone who is uninformed or ambivalent to the whole process?

<sigh> I'll try this just one more time. If it doesn't sink in, I'll
write you off as a person who is incapable of communication in this
medium.

I *do not* want people to contribute *because* they "like the
project".

Additionally I do not want people to contribute because they fall into
any of the other groups you mentioned above, although that's
completely irrelevant.

They should find some other reason to contribute. Preferably one which
makes sense. We've suggested one or two in other parts of this thread.

> > None of which implies that they have to "hate" the project before
> > joining.
>
>     Well, you've rejected the one category I think it would be logical to look
> at.  What's left is most likely and all that.

Please tell me you are not seriously taking the words of Sherlock
Holmes as the foundation of all logic.

> > Uhm, yes we can. Did you read what I wrote? We want people who will be
> > unaffected by such things. Note that the fact that we self-select for
> > such people is the cause, rather than the result, of this.
>
>     So, let me get this straight.  You want people who will want to contribute
> to a project which shuns them if they don't, shuns them if they do, expects
> them to eat crap and like it.  That about right?

Is this merely an attempt at libel, or are you really that confused?

 : :' :  http://www.debian.org/ |