Re: About NM and Next Release

On Fri, 8 Aug 2003 00:08:38 +0100
Andrew Suffield <asuffield@debian.org> wrote:
> Anybody who has to ask "Why should I/we/they contribute?" is not
> suitable for Debian.

    Oddly enough, I've never asked that.

> (The "answer", incidentally, is "because we can"
> or "because it's there", or some other variation; it is a goal in
> itself, and not a means to an end)

    That, however, is not enough in and of itself.  I *could* very well
contribute to FreeBSD.  I don't.  Why?  Because I don't like FreeBSD.  I like
Debian.  You're misconstruing that the statement is "you like it therefore you
should contribute" when it is is "I like it therefore I want to contribute".
There is no goal there, none, other than the contribution.

> True but misleading. Liking the project, or not, is not actually
> relevant - which is why it's a bad reason to join. And hey, that's
> what I actually said, rather than any of the things you've claimed I
> said.

    Quite the contrary, it is a telling reason.  At no time should anyone who
dislikes the project actually be working on it.  At that point it ceases to
become something worthwhile for them to work on and becomes an extra chore and
duty they are performing out of a misplaced sense of, I dunno, honor.  That,
in turn, almost guarantees they will not be putting forth the best effort
possible.  Why anyone would willing work on a project they don't like and,
consequently, gain nothing from is beyond me.

> >     Such as?

> Wow. You really *weren't* listening.

    Of course not being that this is a written medium.  Furthermore I might
have missed the specific reasons you were thinking of.  I don't know about you
but reading this list is not my primary concern on this or any other day.
Reading this list is something I do in my spare time.  So if I missed the
message you were thinking of, inadvertently skipped over and deleted it or in
the press of my other concerns today have had it slip my mind I think that
asking for confirmation is hardly out of line?  I chalk this up to the base
hostility that is characteristic to many of those with d.o addresses.

> Having some specific, valuable things they want to contribute would be
> a good one - like maintaining a package or group of packages. (That
> doesn't necessarily mean they'll get an account, but it's a good
> reason to try)

    Funny, I file that under "wanting to contribute".  The exact line that was
refuted as a lousy reason to join Debian was: "Because you think it's an
awesome group with laudable goals and you want to contribute?"

    Yes, thinking that just because Debian is a swell idea is not enough.  But
wanting to contribute in addition to that is a damned good start.  One, I
might add, that thus far seems to jive with the reasons you're putting forth.

> >     Neither.  I am pointing out that someone liking a project is hardly a
> > reason to reject them out of hand.

> An idea which you made up entirely on your own, and then attributed to
> me. So which is it?

    Uh, no.  You're the one who wrote that someone liking Debian was a lousy
reason for them to join.